Handmade by Heidi | Pom Pom Kit
Who’s looking for a really fun, easy, sit-in-front-of-the-tv-and-work project?
Well, I’ve got one for you…
This adorable pom pom-edged throw blanket!
And all you need to complete this project is the new Handmade by Heidi Pom Pom Kit, a blanket (any throw blanket will do!), some yarn, and a needle & thread.
Each kit comes with 4 pom pom makers…each a different size – from XL down to really little…and directions on how to create the cutest little balls of yarn you’ve ever seen.
I used the second smallest size to create my pom poms – they’re about 2″ in diameter.
Here’s a quick run-down on how these little gadgets work…
1. Each little pom pom maker has 2 sets of two “arms” that pull away from the center plastic circles. You begin your pom pom by winding your yarn around each of these sets…over and over again…making sure to completely cover the arms.
2. This is how 1 set of arms looks completely wound with yarn. Fold this set of arms into the pom pom maker.
3. Now, go ahead and wrap the other set of arms the same way. Here’s how your little pom pom maker will look once you’ve folded both sets of arms in.
4. Use a pair of sharp scissors to cut through the yarn in the space between the arms in each set.
5. Here’s how your pom pom maker will look once you’ve cut through the yarn on one side.
6. Wrap a length of yarn around the middle of your pom pom maker and pull tight…then, tie a knot.
7. Pull back each set of arms from your pom pom.
8. Now pull your pom pom maker apart in the middle and there you have it! A perfect little pom pom!
Finally, trim your pom pom with your scissors, making sure to leave the yarn pieces you used to tie the knot in the middle long.
Make a whole bunch of these gusy…and then grab your throw.
To finish my project, I used this blanket I picked up from IKEA…because I LOVE the color and it was $3.99! Yep, you read that right… $3.99!
Plus the little ridges on each edge made spacing out my pom poms sooooo easy.
Using a small needle and some thread, I sewed a pom pom onto every 4th little ridge…leaving about an inch of yarn attached to the pom pom.
And that was it!
Such a simple project…but one that I love!
Plus, I think it makes this blanket look just so cool.
The perfect little weekend DIY…
Thanks so much for taking a look!
Supplies | Handmade by Heidi – Pom Pom Kit : available now at joann.com