"TRY IT, YOU'LL like it" (-yo gaba gaba)
'Try it, you'll like it" is one of my favorite Yo Gaba Gaba songs. LOL.
I am sitting in the sun on the little love seat in my studio w/ my computer on my lap, still in my pj’s and bed head. I have actually been quite productive today, but not overly motivated to get ‘ready’ for the day. I have been playing with my ‘sunny’ new blog look… ok, so blog decorating is actually quite addictive! It’s SO EASY once you FINALLY have it figured out. at first I thought that I had to really pick out something that was very “ME”… because I would probably get it on there, and NOT want to mess with it! but now, I am finding that it’s SO FUN, and you can ‘wear’ whatever… it can change as often as your mood! The yellow is really working for me, and my ‘spring fever’. You can see that this particular look is very ‘house of 3-esque’… it happens to be in celebration and preparation for the House Warming Party this weekend…but it is very spring-y.
I have a confession: the first time I added a new background and header, I didn’t do it! I was too afraid that if I got in there, in the ‘inside’ of my blog- I would crash Typepad or something! Lol… I am so not computer ‘savvy’… and I am always SO reluctant to learn anything NEW. Especially, if I have to figure it out myself. I like to be TAUGHT… step by step and hands on.
Ok, so… I decided that I loved the ability to change things around, and I couldn’t always be emailing the web guy- and then waiting for him to ‘get to it!’.. (although, I have to hand it to Stewart.. he is an AMAZING web guy).
Alright, so to all of you who are like me… you like the look, and even the ‘thought’ of a little blog ‘couture’… but you are NOT excited about trying to figure out the mumbo jumbo of the backside of your blog… then take a deep breath, and give it a TRY!! (don’t be scared).
Ok, I am taking to you TYPEPAD people … if you are a blogspot/blogger then I am going to let Rhonna help you out. (we’ll pester her!)
Here is what you are going to do:
1. SHOP! Ah, this is the fun part! Head over to HOUSE of 3… there are a WHOLE BUNCH of backgrounds and headers to choose from! They are fab… all created by the one and only Rhonna Farrer. They are totally MIX and MATCH action! Now, you can put just a background up, or just a header.. you don’t HAVE to use both! (but so cute). If you have access to photoshop, or photoshop elements, then you can customize your blog header with your name etc! OK.
2. Once you have made your selection, and it’s downloaded… log into typepad.
3. Click on your blog- and then select the tab that says ‘CONTROL PANEL’ (it’s in the top right corner) this will show you your ‘profile’ . you will see a new set of tabs, and one of them will say ‘files’….select ‘files’
4. To the right, you will see ‘upload new files’… with a browse button. Click on browse, and find where you have saved your NEW FAB House of 3 background! and select it. Then click the ‘upload’ button.
Look for the 'file' tab
6. Now go back to your WEBLOG window, and select your blog again- and this time choose the ‘DESIGN’ tab.
7. At the bottom of the page you will see ‘Custom CSS’. When you open this window, you can paste this:
background: transparent url("//example.com/background.jpg") top center repeat-y;
but where it says: example.com/background.jpg – you cut and paste the LINK to your new background that you have from that list in the files that you uploaded in #4 (above).
That ‘code’ will tell it that you want the background to be centered, and repeat.
If you want to play around with it, you can try a couple different code options that we have listed here in the tutorial section of House of 3. (I haven’t tried them)
8. Choose ‘save’… and then check out your work! Be sure you ‘refresh’ if you don’t see it.
Ok: now… if you want to add your banner on there… here is what you do:
1. after you have downloaded, and customized it…
2. and you are in typepad, and your blog- select the ‘DESIGN’ tab again
3. select ‘theme’
4. under ‘banner’ you will see ‘text or image’… click on that.
5. click the ‘image’ button, and then browse for your fab banner
6. click ‘save changes’ at the bottom… and you should be in business!
Ok, so I know that seems like a lot of GUNK! But seriously, it’s super easy, and it’s SOOOO fun to try something NEW and to dress up your blog!
And like I said, at first, I was all uptight about what background I chose, and then I realized… so easy to change, so fun to open it up and see it all fresh! And you can ALWAYS count on House of 3 to deliver NEW, fresh looks for YOUR blog! (we’ll be serving up a new batch in March!)
We have a little award at the House of 3… it looks somethin’ like this:
We’ll be giving this award weekly, so whenever you change up your blog…send us a link, and we’ll be treating you to some House of 3 GOODNESS!
And just to share that GOODNESS!, I would like to give away a FREE blog header and background of YOUR CHOICE (from the Hof3 selection) customized especially for YOU by ME!! just leave a comment w/ a link to your blog, and your FAVORITE H of 3 blog LOOK… I will select a winner Wed. evening! (it can be any blog! typepad or blogger…but you have to have a BLOG!! now's a great time to start!)
Ok, I am going to get dressed for the day… sigh… what’s for dinner!?
btw… check out www.liquidtreat.com …. they have some great taste and cool links. (wink)